Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Echo de menos de la ciudad de Panama!

Phew! What a summer it has been, and already classes have come to a close. No more teaching basic English in the lively and colorful neighborhood of San Felipe. No more 25 cent snow cones shaved by hand from the street vendor, and no more mysterious yelling from the man down the street who is selling something… I am definitely going to miss it-- the good and the bad, and especially all of my students.

Last Thursday Tim and I held a little end of class celebration for the students on the balcony of our hostel. We presented them with diplomas, and a few lucky students went home with their very own laptops! These were donated to us by various friends from the states, and the students could not believe it. The look of shock and amazement on their faces alone was worth the entire trip here.

Little Carlos at first asked Tim to write a note to his mother saying it was his laptop so that his mother wouldn’t think he stole it. Anastacio was boisterous and loud, overjoyed and excited about his new acquisition. Ricardo quietly but proudly modeled his laptop bag for us, and said “thank you very much”.

The fiestasita which originally was planned for 2 hours turned into a 6 hour affair, but it was great hanging out with the students one last time. They asked each of us teachers our plans for the future. Tim has decided to stay in Panama and open up a business with some new Panamanian friends. Knowing them there is no doubt it will be successful and a worthwhile adventure. In his spare time he will continue to tutor the residents of Casco Viejo. I explained to the students, “Me gusta Panama muchissimo. No quiero que ir, pero tengo que ir, chicos. Voy a viajer en Central America y despues regraso a mi otro trabajo en Estados Unidos.” I enjoyed their replies, not if I was coming back, but an adamant WHEN are you coming back, maestra?

On my last day in the barrio, I took my last lap around the block soaking up the views of the downtown skyline, the Pacific Ocean, the brightly colored Kuna Indians, and the various neighborhood locals. What I will remember forever about this celebratory lap around Casco Viejo is the encounter I had with Lobo, the self proclaimed bully of the neighborhood. He’s a big guy, stern, strong a bit scary looking who commands lots of respect from his neighbors. As is customary he said “hola maestra.” I said hello in reply. Normally this is the extent of our dialogue, but today was different. When I told him I was leaving soon, he said in Spanish that he wanted me to know that he has lots of respect for me, and that he wants me to one day teach him English as well. And that was the best souvenir of my time in Panama!

Being a teacher in this neighborhood is at times difficult, but the people here and around are very gracious for someone who spends their time teaching people who normally never get the type of attention and respect they deserve as human beings. Respect is admired greatly here, probably more than money. If you earn respect in Casco Viejo, then you’re golden. I too respect teachers much more now. It’s not an easy task to motivate others to learn, particularly when there is a lot going on at home, but everyone should be allowed a good education.

At the start of the AT program there were originally planned two 6-week back to back English courses. However, the second group of students are not ready for their English course just yet. Everything takes forever in Panama. So, now that I suddenly have all this time on my hands, I’ve decided to back pack my way to Guatemala City from Panama City.

I’ll write from the road to keep you all updated.

Nos vemos pronto!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how the time has flown since your first post from Panama. I really enjoyed this particular post - and the many stories within. La Maestra. You're the best.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog all summer long and have yet to post a comment! This was quite a touching post, and it definitely sounds like Panama has just been such a beautiful experience for you :). Take care on your travels!